vendredi, juin 10, 2011

Rice dumpling

In the fifth day of the fifth month of the Chinese calendar, the chinese celebrates the dragon boat(Duanwu) festival. On this day and even during the month, one can find rice dumplings everywhere in Singapore.

I remembered that when I was young, my mum used to make those Nonya rice dumplings. For a long time, those were the only ones I ate. In my late teens, I came across the common meat rice dumpling made by a friend's mother but I still preferred mum's.

Having lived in France for so many years, I never celebrate Duanwu festival. OK, celebrate is a big word cos even in Singapore, for me, it was eating a few rice dumplings that mum made for the occasion. I think I only bought rice dumpling once in my entire 8 years here.

Last week, Ai Yi (aunty in chinese), the kids' nanny asked if I would like to eat rice dumplings. She offered to give me several but after knowing that her rice dumplings are dessert rice dumplings, I told her to just give me 3. I never like sweet rice dumplings though my mum had been converted since many years. I think that is one of the reason why she no longer does Nonya rice dumplings.

When I came back from my Helsinki trip on wed, I saw 3 rice dumplings sitting on the kitchen table. I ate one in office the next day and I enjoyed the slightly salty glutinous rice with a sweet big red date. I called home to thank Ai Yi cos' I won't see her until tues. It was really nice of her.
I took a pic before sharing the 2 left with Seb that evening.

Now that I have kids, I should maybe learn from my mum or Ai Yi the making of rice dumplings. I do hope that tradition continues and my kids will be eating rice dumpling made by their mother.

Aucun commentaire: