lundi, mai 26, 2008

Musée des Arts Décoratifs

I had been waiting to visit the Museum of Decorative Arts since a while back. But I waited for Claire to be here as I know that she would appreciate it as much or even more than me. I thought that we could at the same time visit the Musée de la Mode et du Textile since they were housed in the same building. However, I was not aware that the fashion museum only held temporary exhibitions. When we were there, the museum was closed and undergoing preparation for the coming exhibition; Valentino - Thèmes et variations. Claire was pretty disappointed as she was so much into fashion.
Still, we did enjoy the decorative arts museum. It brought us through the early stages of religious arts from the Middle Ages to the present day.

Above were statues representing the four seasons. Can you figure out who is spring, summer, fall and winter?

The above picture shows an 18th century furniture in the rococo style.

Alessandro Mendini from Italy designed this arm chair. It was an amazing piece of art with great fabric and colours. I would love to own one though I doubt Seb would accept it in our living room. The vases around the armchair were painted by various artists.

On the last floor of the exhibition, we were greeted with various chairs. Some were familiar to us and others were unique. On decorative arts, I figure that chairs are the most flexible and common object to design. Tables can only take limited shapes as table top with legs as support. But with chairs, designers can vary the forms so long as one can sit on them. If you have a fetish for chairs, this is the place for you.

Aucun commentaire: